My friends at Café de Nopal have been offering birria tacos (goat Jalisco style) with broth for some time now, so I decided to try to prepare reindeer the same way. The result was excellent, probably one of the best attempts at Finnish-Mexican fusion I’ve gone for.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 16 tortillas
- 1 kg of reindeer meat without bone (luuton sisäpaisti)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 6 dried Chile de árbol chillies (without seeds, sliced and diced)
- 1 dried chile ancho (without seeds, sliced and diced)
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- 4 tomatoes (sliced and diced)
- ½ onion (sliced and diced)
- Cooking oil
- Mexican salsa roja or taquera
- Green lemons/limes
Warm the oil and fry the garlic, onion and chillies until they’re soft. Add half a litre of water and the cumin. Let boil a few minutes. Blend this mix and then sift it. Return the sauce to the fire and add4 litres of water. Cut the meat in small cubes and add it together with the tomato. Leave cooking for 3-4 hours, add more water if necessary. Serve the broth separately from the meat. Warm the tortillas. Offer some sliced and diced onion with coriander and lemons on the side for people to put together their own tacos. Serve with Mexican rice and pico de gallo on the side.