I read during the weekend the Economist Mexico Survey. If you follow the situation in the country the conclusions they reached won’t surprise you very much.
- The economy hasn’t collapsed, but is growing very slowly.
- The country needs structural reforms in order to grow.
- The informal part of the economy is unhealthily big, and the tax collection rates are abysmal.
- Mexico is still too dependent on oil, especially for its public finances.
- Security is a bigger concern than it should be.
- The new government should focus on improving its standing with the part of the population that doesn’t share its programme.
I have to say, that it didn’t make me happy, but could’ve been worse. If only the politicians read this…